Flash flooding in Westminster: how to get support

Flash flooding in Westminster: how to get support


Getting support.

If you are a Westminster Council tenant and have an emergency issue with your property, please call 0800 358 3783. Please note that we are experiencing high call volumes, so it may take us longer than usual to get to you. Please hold on – we are here to help.

If you are a private tenant, please speak to your landlord and contact your contents insurance provider. For homeowners, contact your home insurance provider.

If you feel you are in danger.

If your property is experiencing significant flooding and you feel you are in danger, please evacuate the property.

If you have time and it is safe to do so, pack essential items such as medication before leaving.

Once outside your property, call the emergency services on 999 to report the issue.

If emergency services inform you it is not safe to return to your property, stay with family or friends.

During a flood

DO NOT touch sources of electricity when standing in flood water. Only if it is safe to do so, turn off gas, electricity and water supplies when flood water is about to enter your home.

Accidents happen in fast flowing flood water. Avoid walking or driving in or near flood water. Driving in flood water significantly increases risk of drowning. Do not let children play in flood water.

Move your family and pets to a high place with means of escape. Stay safe, listen to the advice of the emergency services and evacuate when told to do so.

Remember that flooding is stressful. It is normal to feel anxious or upset. Take care of yourself and your family. Check on elderly and vulnerable friends and neighbours.

Avoid contact with flood water and wash your hands regularly. Swallowing flood water or mud can cause diarrhoea, fever or abdominal pain.

Report the issue.

You will need to report any level of flooding in your property to your housing provider.

If you are a Westminster Council tenant or leaseholder, please contact our housing customer service centre to assist. We are experiencing a high volume of calls at the moment but please bear with us as we get back to you as soon as we can.

If you live in a private rented property, contact your landlord and your contents insurance company as soon as possible to let them know what has happened.

Read more practical advice from the Environment Agency about what to do before, during and after a flood.

About author