The Unexpected Fortune You Have at Home:
20 Print Items Worth Hundreds of Pounds
We tend to make space in our houses by clearing up things that we might consider not valuable anymore, like old books, magazines, pictures, etc. However, you might have been throwing hundreds of pounds away, as they could be worth more than you think!
A new study conducted by packaging supplier Rajapack and Wayne Colquhoun from BBC One’s Antique Roadshow have predicted the value of items you might have gathering dust in your attic.
Where is my money?
Wayne predicted the value of printed items that could be worth a fortune in the next 50 years and the results are worth a look.
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy books – A first edition, first print of these collection signed by the author are currently worth £18,000 but their price will dramatically increase up to £100,000.
- Harry Potter collection – A first printing of this set of books signed by J.K. Rowling will be worth £50,000, up from its current value of £30,000.
- A Game of Thrones – The disappointment from how the show ended will disappear if you own a signed first edition as it will be worth £1,000 in the next 50 years!
- Paper Magazine Winter 2014 Issue – This is the ´Break the Internet´ cover where Kim Kardashian West left everyone speechless and actually broke internet. It´s current value is £229.99 and is projected to rise up to £600.
- British Vogue, December 2017 – This is the first issue edited by Edward Enninful. Its current value is £29.99 and predictions have it increasing up to £250.
- Vogue Paris, March 2017 – This issue stars Valentina Sampaio, the first transgender person to feature on the front cover of Vogue Paris. This issue will value at £250 in the next 50 years.
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia – The official programme will jump from a value of £9.99 to £500, based on how much the French (who won the event) will be willing to pay.
- Tottenham vs Crystal Palace, April 2019 – This will increase its price from £15 to £300 based on how much Tottenham fans will be willing to pay.
What else do you need to know to make a fortune?
- Books are a potential money-maker – The written word has a clear value as half of the most profitable items on our list are books. Wayne says: ‘As traditional skills decline, real craftsmanship will prevail and rise in value’.
- Signed copies, prototypes or early versions – The uniqueness and exclusivity of items is a clear indication of their value and the profit to obtain from them. Wayne adds: ‘rarity and quality combined is the combination for cash’.
- Perfect condition – Keeping the items in their best condition is key to keeping their value. As Wayne highlights: ‘It is a very important investment to keep our cherished items in good condition – we are all custodians of our treasures’.
To see what other items you might have that could bring in extra income, and discover exclusive insights from our expert, view the full study here.